People have been joking that similar to the freshman 15, we’re all about to gain the Covid 19 from all the snacking going on. Since I’m trying to step away from the chocolate for a while, I’m paying more attention to my fruit and veg. I’m also trying to make some fresh and easy dishes to nibble on throughout the day or as side dishes for lunch or dinner.
Here’s an easy one that uses some of the gorgeous produce from my latest Misfits Market* box. Incidentally, I recommend Misfits Market highly. Depending on your schedule and budget you’ll receive a box filled with less than perfect organic produce sent in eco-friendly packaging. It’s a nice reminder to eat more greens (and pinks, and reds and oranges…) but on to the recipe:
- 1 large-ish bunch of asparagus
- 1 lb. French green beans trimmed (or any old green beans!)
- 1/4 cup raw sliced almonds (I buy mine on nuts.com)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- black pepper
- squeeze of lemon
- sea salt
- optional: ranch soup mix (Stop it. I said it was optional!)
- I used a large wok for this one (more on woks in a future post!)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and season with salt. You can be generous. If you prefer your veggies as close to raw as possible, feel free to blanch them instead. If not, boil them for as short an amount of time as you can. About 5 minutes should do it. Bite into one to test for doneness.
- While the water boils, chop the onion and saute in olive oil.
- While that’s happening, toast the almonds in your toaster oven briefly. Or feel free to saute them after the onions have gotten a bit translucent. If you’re using the ranch dressing, sprinkle it into the onion/almond mixture and pour in the lemon juice. Feel free to add a bit of lemon zest at this point.
- Transfer the beans/asparagus to the wok or frying pan and give it a gentle stir so that the beans and asparagus are coated with the fragrant mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Eat and enjoy and marvel at the fact that we have all these spectacular veggies to sustain us through this scary time!
*The lovely folks at Misfits sent me a box this week and I’m hooked.